31 October 2003

Friday Five

1. What was your first Halloween costume?
The first one I remember was a pink bunny rabbit. I had pink fuzzy footie-pajamas and big floppy ears on a headband. I was about 4, I guess.

2. What was your best costume and why?
My best costume was the year I went dressed as a golfer. You'd never believe how much candy you can fit in even a child-size golf bag. Or how easy that makes it to carry it. Of course, the year I was an alien in a gold jump suit, gold face paint, gold tennis shoes, and gold feelers was pretty good too.

3. Did you ever play a trick on someone who didn't give you a treat?
No.

4. Do you have any Halloween traditions? (ie: Family pumpkin carving, special dinner before trick or treating, etc.)
No.

5. Share your favorite scary story...real or legend!
I love the song/poem of Thomas the Rhymer. In short, Thomas meets a lady that he at first mistakes for the Queen of Heaven, but she tells him he is wrong; she is the queen of Elfland. She takes Thomas on a wild ride through unknown lands on her milk-white horse. When they stop to rest, she shows him three roads: the broad, straight road to hell, the narrow path beset with thorny briars which leads to heaven, and the winding, tree-lined road to elfland. The fairy offers him an apple which will cause him always to tell the truth, but he refuses. They proceed down the road to elfland, the queen warning Thomas that if he should speak while there, he will not be allowed to leave for seven years. Now, not speaking is a very hard thing for a rhymer to do, and he responds to a comment of the fairy. The last we know is that Thomas was not seen on earth for seven years. Whether he was seen after that is not revealed.

Not really a traditional "ghost" story, I suppose, but I find it creepy.

No comments: