14 August 2003

My blog is advertising convents again. But it's not advertising the right ones. Oh well.

I'm going to be busy with lots and lots of Masses in the next few days. I'm singing at the vigil and all three Masses of the day for the Feast of the Assumption at my former parish, plus singing Sunday morning and Sunday evening at two different churches. The members of my extended family already glanced sideways at me when I announced that I was leaving for daily Mass this morning, and when my mom told them my schedule for Friday, my aunt's eyes nearly popped out of her head. I'm not sure she understands the concept of "Holy Day of Obligation."

I'm getting tired of this. I want to go back to school, where people don't look at me sideways when I say I'm going to daily Mass, but instead say, "Wait for me, lemme get my jacket!" Where I don't have to explain being shocked that a kid showed up to read at Sunday Mass wearing basketball shorts with his boxers peeking over the waistband. Where I don't have to explain why I look a little sad when the army of extraordinary ministers lines up at the altar. (Communion at St. John's for 600 people took 4.5 minutes last week.)

No response to The Letter yet. My dad is getting pretty angry that they have acknowledged receiving it, but haven't done anything yet. My mom says to be patient, that the committees probably haven't had regular meetings because people are on vacation. I don't know what to think. I do think that there has been more silence at the Masses there the past two weeks. (I've been cantor at a few Masses during the regular musician's vacation. I need the cash.) So, maybe they paid attention to one thing that I wrote, which is better than nothing. But I'm still waiting for a response.

No comments: