24 March 2005

Fast and Hunger Strike

I found a message in my inbox this morning from a friend of mine, about what he is going to do to help Terri Schiavo. Here is the relevant part:

"I feel very helpless in all of this. All that I am going to do is fast. I was planning on fasting for the Easter Triduum, but now I am also doing a hunger strike. I will only drink water at least until Sunday. My purpose in doing this is to be in solidarity with Terri and offer up my sacrifice. However, I will also be doing a demonstration. I will make this hunger strike known to the public. Starting tomorrow, with the exception of when I will go to Mass, I will sit at the grotto outside of St. Aloysius church with a sign alerting those who pass by to what I am doing. I will sit there from 8am to 8pm. Originally I had wanted to sit at the steps of Crosby, but I felt consolation when I decided to sit and the grotto and ask for the intercession of Our Lady of Lourdes, the patroness of the Diocese of Spokane. I invite all of you to join me in doing this. Even if it is only for part of a day or you cannot do the fast or join me at the grotto, please keep Terri, her family, and this country in your prayers."

I'm sure other people have had this idea. But if you were not planning to do so, but are able to, perhaps you will consider participating in a more extreme fast than you might normally do for Good Friday. If you can, consider joining my friend John and many others in this endeavor.

No comments: