08 May 2006

Meme Time

From Mixolydian Mode:

Grab the nearest book.
Open it to page 161.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
Don’t search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.


There aren't actually five sentences on the page, but the fifth thing punctuated with a period is: "M. J. E. Senn, Masters and Pupils, aduiotapes of lectures by Lawrence S. Kubie, Jane Loevinger, and M. J. E. Senn, presented at meeting of the of the Society for Research in Child Development, Philadelphia, March 1973 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1974)."

It's an example of the form for a note citing a sound recording, from A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Sixth Edition by Kate L. Turabian--the style manual I'm obliged to use for my thesis.

The next nearest book provides the following (I'm counting the half-sentence at the top of the page as 1): "'Fifty points from Gryffindor for lateness, I think,' said Snape." (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince--not my copy but my apartment mate's. As I have temporarily moved my laptop to the living room, there is stuff belonging to other people around too. The next nearest book belonging to me is the library copy of Brideshead Revisited, but it only offered "I happen to know," which is not very interesting.)

No comments: