30 May 2005

A Wedding of Catholic Nerds

I'm singing at a wedding today. The bride has been a friend of mine since we were in seventh grade. I'm unreasonably nervous about singing at this. Most of the people who will be there have heard me sing before, and they're probably not going to pay much attention to the music anyway, but I really don't want to mess this up. My head says, "It'll be fine," but the butterflies in my stomach say, "Let's party!"

This wedding will truly be a Catholic Nerd wedding. Not because it will be ad orientem or anything like that (unfortunately), but because of the people. The bride is the daughter of the president of Ignatius Press, and the groom is Tom Harmon, who founded the ASCC and Gonzaga's Newman-Stein Fellowship (now John Paul II Fellowship). Also in attendance will be Fr. Robert Spitzer, SJ, president of Gonzaga University and author of Healing the Culture. Fr. Joseph Fessio has also been invited, and will probably be in attendance.

I hope you will join me in wishing Cate and Tom well and praying that their marriage will be long and happy. As one person noted in a toast at the rehearsal dinner, this couple has already proven themselves to be a force for change and an example of good in our culture. May they continue to be so as they begin their new life together.

No comments: