19 May 2005

Did Someone Mention Books?

They did, and yes, I got tagged too. So, here we go!

Total Number of Books Owned: I have absolutely no idea. Lots and lots, many of which are in giant Xerox boxes in my room. Several hundred, I imagine.

Last Book Bought: Le Magicien et Son Neveu. That's right, it is indeed the Magician's Nephew in French. During my first weeks here, I stumbled across the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (l'Armoire Magique) in my favorite bookshop, and I've been gradually buying the rest of the series since. I'm ignoring the fact that this is supposedly the first book in the series and rejoicing in the lovely illustrations by Pauline Baynes. Although I suppose that now I can actually make sense of books in French, I should start reading one by French authors.

Last Book Read: Women in Love by DH Lawrence. I picked it at random in a bookstore in Prague which sold English books, and I didn't really care for it. I much preferred The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco, which I finished much faster than I had expected (I also bought it in Prague...it's a wonder I did any sight-seeing!). I've always loved a good mystery, especially ones that can be solved along side the heroes--sometimes Sherlock is too much of a genius. And since I spent a week in a former Cistercian monastery this year, I enjoyed that the story was built around the rhythm of monastic life.

Five Books that Mean a Lot to Me:

My C.S Lewis book. It's a collection of some of his best-known works: The Pilgrim's Regress, Letters to Malcolm, Reflections on the Psalms, the Abolition of Man, and my favorite, Till We Have Faces. I found it at Shakespeare and Co. earlier this year, and it's done a lot of travelling with me. Between it, les Chroniques de Narnia, and my second-hand copy of That Hideous Strength I found in Avignon, this has been a great year for C. S. Lewis.

The Holy Grail : Its Origins, Secrets, and Meaning Revealed by Malcolm Godwin and The
Holy Grail : Imagination and Belief by Richard Barber. I've always loved mythology and stories about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and Godwin's book, which I borrowed from my medieval history teacher in high school, started me on my serious interest in the Holy Grail. Barber's, on the other hand, was a gift from Jane and the Catholicnerd, and I sadly have only read about half of it, since it is in America and I'm not.

The Complete Novels of Jane Austen. I'm sure it's hardly a surprise, and that I don't have to say much about it. It was also a present from Jane, way back when we were roommates and living in the same country.

My Dad's old copy of the Silmarillion. It's such an incredible book, and I have to admit I enjoy the fact that it's a first edition. I bought it in paperback last year, just because I needed a copy at school. And I love the idea of creation with music. It's been a really long time since I read it. It's on my list after Les Misérables for this summer.

My Giant Larousse Dictionary and 501 French Verbs. Because I use them all the time.

No comments: