09 February 2004

Bradley Birzer on Tolkien and Jackson

ISI, the Intercollegiate Studies Institute, has published online a wonderful article by Bradley J. Birzer about Tolkein's mythology and its representation in Jackson's film. I feel like the subject of my previous post has intersected with my Ethics class, in which we are discussing the importance of stories to the moral development of children (and adults, too, I suppose). Don't you love it when things fit together like that? I do. Anyway, it's a great article. You know Birzer has to be pretty cool if his book has an introduction by Joseph Pierce. He brings up some good points, including one which justifies a long-held secret desire of mine to write a story about Rosie Cotton. Of course, at the heart of it all is what anyone reading this blog probably knows already: that Tolkien's myth is essentially Catholic.

No comments: