17 May 2009

Kudos Msgr. Parnassus, Again

The regular cantor for the 5:30 Saturday Mass suffered a car break-down in Santa Barbara yesterday morning, so I was called in to sub. I always have a funny experience subbing for that Mass. I don't feel the freedom to choose my own repertoire that I feel for the Sunday Mass, because I have to work with an organist I don't know very well and the congregation's expectations. But I love hearing Msgr. Parnassus's homilies. Yesterday he talked about Obama at Notre Dame. The basic gist of it was that the President's views are not in line with Catholic teaching, he should not be honored, the President of Notre Dame is willfully disregarding the (totally appropriate) recommendations of dozens of bishops, and if we as Catholics compromise our beliefs for the sake of political correctness, then when Judgment comes, we will be found wanting.

He actually said that, "will be found wanting."

I love Msgr. Parnassus. I don't know if he's always been this way, or if there's something about being old and frail that makes you unafraid to speak the truth. He has been looking pretty frail lately, using a walker instead of his more usual cane. Please pray that he lives a good long while yet, and that he continues to be able to walk far enough and stand long enough to say Mass. We need him desperately.

Msgr. Murphy is pretty cool, too. He told us last week that since the Friday-night EF High Mass went so well a couple of weeks ago, he wants to have an EF Missa Cantata at some point in the future at the time of our regularly-scheduled Sunday evening Mass. Our choir would be super excited to sing for that, and I think that congregation would respond well. They seem to be a flexible group, with fairly marked traditional inclinations.

Last night at Mass, we prayed during the general intercessions for Msgr. Murphy's aunt, who is very ill (possibly dying). Pray that if God chooses to take her soon, that her death will be full of grace and peace.

No comments: